Parrish Church of San Pietro

The earliest records concerning the parish church are found on a parchment dated 1202. Remnants of the ancient building were uncovered during recent restoration works, while only a part of the 16ᵗʰ-century structure, meticulously described in the pastoral visit of San Carlo Borromeo in 1575, remains in the bell tower.

The enlargement of the church, bringing it to its current form, is credited to two parish priests from Parre. The works were so significant that in 1736, the “new” church was consecrated, with a significant contribution offered by the shepherds of Parre. In the 19ᵗʰ century, there were several transformations: the façade was built in 1868 while the Balicco-Bossi organ was installed in 1898, which can still be admired today.

The flooring of the nave dates back to 1902 whereas the paving of the churchyard was completed in 1964. Inside, several works by Andrea Fantoni and the Fantoni workshop are of particular importance, including the magnificent main altar and the wooden choir created in collaboration with the Caniana family.

The most important work is the large 16ᵗʰ-century altarpiece by Giovan Battista Moroni, depicting the Madonna and Child with Saints Peter, Paul and John the Evangelist. The church also houses other valuable canvases such as the Baptism of Jesus by Enea Salmeggia, known as Il Talpino (1570–1626), and a Crucifixion by Giovan Paolo Cavagna (1550–1627), as well as sculptures and inlay works.